Job title: Sr Director of Software Engineering, Compute System
Location: San Francisco, CA
Salesforce.com hosts web services and applications written by thousands of internal developers and tens of thousands of customers to provide the largest business automation cloud on the planet. The compute infrastructure that enables this innovation and value is evolving to fully embrace lights-out operations, single-click deploy to tens of thousands of nodes, and services that self-heal and self-optimize.
Salesforce is building out our compute infrastructure team to reinvigorate the way we deliver, deploy, operate, secure, monitor, and repair our data centers and the code that runs across them - at consumer web scale. We are looking to add experienced distributed systems leaders who can guide our development efforts, taking responsibility for major chunks of that vision.
Some attributes of successful candidates
- Eat, sleep, and breathe services. You have experience balancing live-site management, feature delivery, and retirement of technical debt across an entire development team.
- Ability to thrive in start-from-zero development efforts. No code, no team, both - you’re not phased.
- A passion for leading development teams in the creation of large, modular, and maintainable code bases.
- An unwavering love of shipping software.
- Strong, heartfelt opinions on CAP theorem, can sketch out four different consistency models on a single napkin and defend each of them, and understand Paxos, Raft, and Zookeeper at an implementation level.
- Familiarity with crash-only and recovery-oriented software design.
- Excited by building reliable, self-healing services on unreliable hardware.
- Experience designing, developing, debugging, and operating resilient distributed systems that run across thousands of compute nodes in multiple datacenters.
- Agilista capable of driving and delivering thin slices of end-to-end functionality on a regular cadence with data-driven feedback loops
- 8-10+ years of development experience
- 2+ years managing development or mixed engineering teams
- Experience with Java/C#/C++ in a data center environment
- Experience owning and operating a mission critical service
- Experience with Agile development methodology and Test-Driven Development
- Experience using telemetry and metrics to drive operational excellence
- Experience growing high performing engineering teams
Salesforce is the global leader in customer relationship management (CRM) software. We pioneered the shift to cloud computing, and today we’re delivering the next generation of social, mobile and cloud technologies that help companies revolutionize the way they sell, service, market and innovate–and become customer companies. We are the fastest growing of the top 10 enterprise software companies, the World’s Most Innovative Company according to Forbes and one of Fortune’s 100 Best Companies to Work For. Our “more human, less corporate” culture is built around doing work that matters, winning as a team and celebrating success Aloha-style. Ready to find your #dreamjob?