Salesforce.com is looking for a Network Engineer to join the Global Network Operations team. This team is responsible for 24x7 follow-the-sun support of the salesforce.com environment. As a member of the Global Network Operations team, you will be responsible for incident management on all aspects of the production network, to include performing break/fix and proactive maintenance to resolve outages and minimize potential for future impact. This includes hardware/software lifecycle management, network hygiene/standardization, runlist automation, as well as network monitoring improvements to proactively diagnose potential issues. You will provide third line support for network-related customer issues, and ensure that thorough root cause analysis is completed on all customer-impacting issues.
- Ensure all network issues are resolved in a timely manner, with minimal impact to customers.
- Perform high-level troubleshooting and analysis to determine the root cause of network outages and implement workarounds and/or permanent solutions.
- Isolate hardware and software problems on network devices and work with vendors to resolve issues as necessary.
- Perform break/fix maintenance, such as RMAs, routing changes/traffic engineering, DDoS mitigation, etc.
- Perform proactive network maintenance, such as code upgrades, hardware refreshes, config updates, peering/transit turnups, cleanup/decoms
- Work collaboratively with engineering teams to identify ways in which we can proactively improve the stability of the network and decrease potential for future outages to occur.
- Provide third line customer support and technical expertise for network-related issues.
- Drive service ownership for the Network Cloud; assist in efforts to streamline problem and change management processes, improve alerting and incident handling, and increase automation.
- High level of proficiency and experience with TCP/IP networking, architecture and core technologies, such as MPLS, BGP, OSPF, DNS, HTTP, etc.
- High level of proficiency with Cisco and Juniper router and switch hardware installation and troubleshooting.
- Experience deploying and managing large scale distributed network environments.
- Knowledge of firewalls and access-list configuration and troubleshooting.
- In-depth knowledge and experience working in a Unix/Linux environment.
- Experience with performance analysis, systems software, and systems architecture.
- Knowledge of system performance methodologies along with hands on empirical monitoring and data-driven decision making.
- Strong analytical approach to problem solving and ability to troubleshoot complex issues quickly, while successfully handling multiple priorities.
- Must work well as part of a team in a high-energy environment; must possess good written and verbal communication skills, and good time-management abilities.
- High level of proficiency and experience configuring and troubleshooting load balancers, with emphasis on F5.
- Highly skilled in packet analysis, network analysis tools, troubleshooting and analytical fault diagnosis.
- Experience in deploying, customizing and scaling a network monitoring solution.
- Proficiency in scripting/programming with Python, perl, etc.
- Ability to participate in an on-call rotation designed to provide network engineering support on the weekends.
- Must be willing to work a 4x10 shift schedule that will include a weekend day