Lead Software Engineer - Compute Infrastructure
Salesforce is building out our software-defined network (SDN) team to reinvigorate the way we architect, deliver, and operate the platforms and services that run in our data centers - at consumer web scale. We are looking to add experienced distributed systems engineers who can step up and own big chunks of that vision - a vision requiring creativity and new thinking in how we perform balancing, enable service discovery, and automatically identify and mitigate network faults.
Do the points below get you excited about the role? Come and join us at Salesforce!
- You eat, sleep, and breathe services. You have experience balancing live-site management, feature delivery, and retirement of technical debt.
- You have a magical touch for improving existing systems (and you can quantify the improvements with automated metrics). You can express a new design in code, deliver it to production, and plan for ownership succession. You know that the difficult part of the programmer’s job lies in reading and comprehending the code of others - not in authoring new code.
- Peter Parker has a spidey sense - so do you. Your sense informs you when something can be made simpler when an idea can be expressed more succinctly, more readable. You can translate these intuitions into understandable lessons for your peers and mentees. You can write a manifesto on YAGNI. And seal it with a KISS.
- You love giving and receiving code reviews. You sweat the details. You authored (or improved upon) the coding standards guide for your team.
- Lots of engineers know their powers of two or the first 9 digits of pi. You have that covered, and you know how many seconds of downtime are permitted per day and per week for a three, four, or five 9s SLA.
- You have deep familiarity with crash-only and recovery-oriented software design.
- Building reliable, self-healing services on unreliable hardware is exciting to you, and you know that the code is the infrastructure.
- Possibly you were not “born in the cloud,” but it is where you grew up. Designing, developing, debugging, and operating resilient distributed systems that run across thousands of compute nodes in multiple data centers is your daily life.
- You haven't just used, but have built and operated the distributed platforms that define cloud-scale infrastructure.
- 3+ years of software development experience
- Experience with C++ and/or Java in a data center environment
- Experience owning and operating multiple instances of mission critical service
- Experience with agile and TDD
- Experience influencing horizontally, leading by example and not by authority
- Experience using telemetry and metrics to drive operational excellence
Company Overview: Salesforce, the Customer Success Platform, and world's #1 CRM empowers companies to connect with their customers in a whole new way. The company was founded on three disruptive ideas: a new technology model in cloud computing, a pay-as-you-go business model, and a new integrated corporate philanthropy model. These founding principles have taken our company to great heights, including being named one of Forbes’s “World’s Most Innovative Company” five years in a row and one of Fortune’s “100 Best Companies to Work For” eight years in a row. We are the fastest growing of the top 10 enterprise software companies, and this level of growth equals incredible opportunities to grow a career at Salesforce. Together, with our whole Ohana (Hawaiian for "family") made up of our employees, customers, partners, and communities, we are working to improve the state of the world.