|Design Research Specialist | Ignite
Salesforce Ignite is a global customer-facing innovation team (see more from Fortune here) within the most innovative company of the decade (see more from Forbes here). Ignite provides a unique form of creative advisory service to Salesforce's top customers, blending capabilities in design, research, and strategy. We engage with the C-suites of the world’s biggest brands to help them understand and reframe their most acute innovation challenges, collaborating with them to identify new opportunities and re-shape the future.
We are looking for creative, curious, and highly capable design research specialist to join our Ignite APAC team. You will be a key member of our team, shaping innovation programs by framing strategic challenges, researching and understanding customer problems, creating concept designs, prototyping and helping with storytelling. While you love to work across the design process, your toolkit is especially full of ways to understand and communicate other people's experiences of the world. You can plan and execute a "designerly" process to get from a business problem to a new shared understanding of what’s really going on, all while facilitating colleagues across the project to build their own empathy.
Ignite does not work from traditional design or creative briefs. We engage with the world’s top companies to help understand their most acute business challenges and collaborate with them to re-shape their future. We solve for real-life experiences and pain-points based on powerful research insights and business strategy. https://www.salesforce.com/ignite/
Asia Pacific is a fast-growing and dynamic region for Salesforce. As a member of the Ignite team in APAC, you'll be a pioneer for our design thinking approach internally and with customers, bringing practices that have proven successful globally to leading companies. You'll travel widely in the region and represent the Ignite brand internally and externally. Customers operate in differing languages and cultural contexts - your sensitivity and skill in translating across these differences will be crucial to your success.
Experience & Qualifications
- Use a deep knowledge of the human-centred design process to scope, plan, and execute primary research into the lives, perspectives and needs of customers, staff and other stakeholders (ethnographic research, contextual interviews, participatory methods, etc)
- Produce tangible and creative stimuli for testing ideas and concepts in the field with potential users
- Lead the disciplined process of capturing, cataloguing and analysing data from research (including notes, photos, and video) into structured and reliable knowledge that the whole project team can leverage
- Facilitate and guide the synthesis of insights that illuminate new and actionable design and business opportunities for our customers
- Collaborate to capture and communicate the team's insights in simple and compelling narratives and visual frameworks that challenge preconceptions and inspire executive-level audiences
- Help facilitate complex work sessions for C-suite executives and cross-functional teams
- Build strong relationships with diverse internal stakeholders to bring the full Salesforce ecosystem together for maximum customer success, creating enduring relationships that advance personal and Ignite success
- Articulate the value of insight and the logic of the connection between human behaviour and design choices in a way that is convincing to internal and external customers
- Apply design to the innovation process to guide and influence research and strategy, from experience and category analysis to user research, breaking down products, experiences, categories, and trends to draw out insights
In addition to the competencies necessary to fulfill the responsibilities above, the following experience and qualifications are sought:
- Experience leading user-centered research that generates actionable insights that can inform thoughtful design concepts.
- Ability to be self-organised and detail-oriented in the management and execution of multi-stakeholder field research
- Experience in the capture and management of sensitive research data
- Experience facilitating internal and external workshops and other processes to develop grounded insights based on primary and secondary research
- Demonstrated capability to communicate using a range of media (written, visual, video)
- Experience working within a cross-functional design team as the voice of the user
- Experience with various types of research participant recruiting
- Deep personal and practical understanding of the ethics of primary research in a corporate context
- Self-motivated, a good communicator, and able to balance quality deliverables with tight deadlines.
- Comfortable dealing with ambiguity, and helping other team members through it, and enthusiastic about working in a culture of critique and iteration with all team members.
- Excellent communication skills, written and spoken, in English
- Passionate curiosity regarding emerging trends in innovation and enthusiasm for using the design process to make businesses more effective, relevant and successful.
- Entrepreneurial bias for action with ability to resolve problems with limited resources and input.
- 3+ years cross-cultural and international working experience and appetite for more.
Additional preferred experience and qualifications
Salesforce, the Customer Success Platform and world's #1 CRM, empowers companies to connect with their customers in a whole new way. The company was founded on three disruptive ideas—a new technology model in cloud computing, a pay-as-you-go business model and a new integrated corporate philanthropy model. These founding principles have taken our company to great heights, including being named one of Forbes World’s Most Innovative Company five years in a row and one of Fortune 100 Best Companies to Work For eight years in a row. We are the fastest growing of the top 10 enterprise software companies, and this level of growth equals incredible opportunities to grow a career at Salesforce. Together, with our whole Ohana (Hawaiian for "family") made up of our employees, customers, partners and communities, we are working to improve the state of the world.
- Understanding and interest in the connection between technology and society/behaviour
- Video design and production experience.
- An advanced degree in a relevant field, e.g. design, innovation, etc.
- Experience spreading the gospel of design through teaching, publishing, speaking etc.